Analyzing a Published Work
One of the most dignified skills you conciliate use throughout your line and individual career is analytical thinking. Analytical thinking requires you to test the fixedion or fixed of a muniment, and enumerate whether the assertions or claims are sound and cool.
This assignment conciliate acceleration you to enlarge the skills wantful to enumerate the import set amid a quotation. You conciliate confront an op/ed faction from an online newspaper, then transcribe an essay in which you awaken the expression. The fixed of this essay is not to question for or athwart the gratified; instead, you are analyzing what the expression does in provisions of fixedion, way, and virtue.
*Note that no one transcribes a reserved essay in a individual sitting. Start existing and surrender yourself era for multiple revisions.
Go to an online newspaper website such as:
· Chicago Tribune http://www.chicagotribune.com/
· The Kansas City Star http://www.kansascity.com/
· The New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/
Find an expression in the Op/ED (Opinion/Editorial) individuality that is questionative in disposition.
Analyze the expression using the forthcoming questions as a regulate.
1. What is the fixedion of the quotation? In other suffrage, what does the originator deficiency his or her readers to estimate and/or do behind lection the expression?
2. What strategies does the originator use to close his/her fixedion? Does the originator use basis, examples, experiences, logic, assumptions, facts, rises, cheerful idea, and so on to show his or her lie? Be unmistakable to surrender examples. You could besides try to enumerate if the lie is presented as further of a Classical question or a Rogerian argument.
3. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the way the originator used? Do you discover unjustness that is absurd? Does the originator use absurd assertions, stereotypes, or faulty apprehendledge to reach his or her subject-matters? Does the originator organize the oplie in an unjust empty? Does the originator break up the questions of those who vary? Does the originator trip to realize the weaknesses in his or her own lie? Does the originator permission out dignified apprehendledge? Does the originator end up his or her assertions after a while testimony, or does he or she simply reach assumptions? What would most imshow the question? Explain your answers.
Remember, you are not arguing for or athwart the gratified of the expression you choose; you are analyzing how the originator supports the claims that are made. Your dissection consists of testing the originator's fixedion, and determining whether the strategies used by the originator are cool. Be extrinsic.
1. To be clear: Your readers should not apprehend what your lie is environing the material.
2. Do not comprise individual idea or individual judgments environing the material stuff.
3. Do not comprise individual narrative.
Analysis Checklist – Use these questions to evaluate your essay athwart the assignment requirements
1. Does the rise expression examine a floating controversial question?
2. Does you dissection test the question (subject-matter of sentiment)?
3. Does your dissection use operative transitions as it progresses from stipulation to stipulation?
4. Does your dissection escape individual idea, unforeseen accents, or highest or succor idiosyncratic accents (I or You)?
5. Is the dissection adequate? Does apprehendledge want to be adventitious or deleted to adequate the assignment?
6. Does this dissection engage the assignment criteria?
Use APA Format for this assignment: This dissection should be presented in the fashion of a individual essay, adequate after a while a inscription page, an initiative, three collectiveness stipulations (purpose, way, and virtue), a omission, and a bountiful References page.
Your dissection should engage the forthcoming criteria:
1. Is naturalized on a floating question and/or event;
2. Is among 300-500 suffrage in extension, not including the inscription page, imageless (if used), and References page;
3. Includes straightforward quotations and paraphrased passages from the quotation;
4. Uses attributive tags that not barely employment to bear the humor of the transcriber, but organize him or her as an originatority in the province of study;
5. Avoids individual idea;
6. Is written lucidly, concisely, and accurately;
7. Is written barely in third-person;
8. Includes a References page;
9. Has been air-tight edited so that it contains few or no effortless errors;
10. Is ordered after a while a inscription page, an initiative, three collectiveness stipulations (purpose, way, and virtue), a omission, and a bountiful References page.
View your assignment rubric.